User Name
Password

History and Development

The Hotspur Football Club (former name of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club) was established in 1882. At the beginning, the matches were played at Tottenham Marshes in north London. In 1888, the club leased a private area at Northumberland Park for matches.

Spurs became a limited company in 1898. In order to absorb more supporters, Mr. Buckle, Director of the club, proposed moving to a new football ground in three years, in an annual meeting on the 10th of August.

The progress of the “removal” plan was faster than expected, a district newspaper, Tottenham Weekly Herald, reported the location of the new home ground in January 1899.

On 5 May 1899, Spurs leased a vacant area at the High Road for the new home ground for 21 years. The ground was owned by the Charrington family (beer manufacturing). The 30,000-seat football ground was opened in September. The club invited supporters for the name of the new football ground, but with a poor response. As such, the new home ground did not have a name.

The first event held at the new ground was the annual sports gala – not a football match.

In 1899, Spurs started the new season in the Southern League at the new home ground. Before the first league match against Queens Park Rangers, Spurs had a friendly match with Notts Country (First Division) on the 4th of September.
Around 5,000 people paid 5-15 (?) pence for this friendly match, Mr. Roberts, Chairman of Spurs, held the kick-off ceremony. Notts County scored first, but Platt scored the equalised goal after then. Spurs defeated Notts County by 4-1, ticket sales were 115.91 pounds.

On 7 September, Spurs faced Queens Park Rangers, Spurs won the match by Smith scored the only goal. Attendance was 11,000 with ticket sales of 329. 21 pounds. Spurs kept up the good form and won the Southern League title.

The club kept on searching for a name for the home ground, suggestions from supporters included Rowel Park, Percy Park, and Champion Park (to celebrate the winning of the Southern League title).

In 1900, the club moved to a new football ground, it was named ‘’Hotspur Ground’’. Later on the name changed to High Road Ground or White Hart Ground.
The ground continued its expansion and the capacity increased to 40,000 in 1906, at that time most supporters called the new ground White Hart Lane.
In 1908, Spurs joined the Football League. With the leadership of Archibald Leitch, construction of upper roof at East Stand started and completed a year later.
In 1911, reconstruction of East Stand started, wood was replaced by cement as the main base construction material.

In 1921, Spurs were in the First Division, the club bought the small red house, which was a restaurant, in front of the football ground. The club reconstructed it and used it as an office.

In 1934, reconstruction of the East Stand completed. With other improvement projects, capacity increased to almost 80,000 people. Operations of fourteen shops and restaurants started, with alcohol drinks supplied at designated times.

In 1937, the club address changed from 750 High Road to 748 High Road.

1953 – Floodlights were installed at four corners of White Hart Lane. With the attendance of 28,070, Spurs won 5-3 over Paris Racing Team in the first match with the newly installed floodlights.

1980 – Reconstruction of the West Stand was started and completed in 1982.

1989 – reconstruction of the East Stand. The floodlights at the East and West Stand were replaced by spotlights upon completion of this particular reconstruction.

1991 – Architect Igal Yawetz joined the Board of Directors. With his proposal on reconstructing the South and North Stand, reconstruction was completed in 1995 and 1998 respectively, with installation of Jumbotron Screens.

White Hart Lane became an all-seater stadium.

2001 – the club renamed the lane from High Road to the main entrance to Bill Nicholson Way, which also became the new address of the club.

21st Century and Future Plan

The current capacity of White Hart Lane cannot cater for the demand of supporters’ needs (36,236). Spurs has one of the largest wait-lists for season tickets holders as well. Tottenham Hotspur decided to build a new stadium just to the north and east of the existing White Hart Lane stadium.The Northumberland Development Project includes a 61,000 -seater stadium, with hotel, supermarket, education institutes and shops, which will provide new job opportunities to the local community.

Copyright© 2013 Spurs HK. All rights reserved.